Recently a number of builds have emerged from the rapidly growing Mazda 3 aggressive fitment community that are pushing the chassis ride height and wheel fitment boundaries to new levels.
As these cars get lower, and lower, and wheels wider, and wider, several individuals have begun to explore the possibilities that exist beyond the limitations of the stock 3 body.
Already running a fairly aggressive set up the , Trevor used an ailing motor as an excuse to give his Mazdaspeed 3 a top to bottom rebuild for the 2014 season.
After some careful planning Kieron ‘KJohn’ Ramjohn of got to work removing any factory metal that would prevent the 18×10 Koning SSM wheels from properly fitting underneath Trevor’s Mazda.
While bolt on flares are the current ‘go to’ option for going wide, Trevor and KJohn bucked the trend and went the more challenging route of molding the new flares to the body.
Though historically this option runs the risk of cracking filler and paint at the slightest breeze, these flares have been properly, and permanently, affixed to the car. Even when yanked on forcefully to prove a point these flares don’t so much as budge.
The end result of the extensive body work –combined with a healthy drop provided by coilovers– is a rear end silhouette that would make the likes of Coco jealous.
With the rear of the car set significantly wider than stock something had to be done up front, so prior to spraying that unique custom grey paint on the exterior KJohn widened the front fenders in a subtle blister style.
This detail, that many may overlook while studying the rear quarters, gives the car a nasty snarl when combined with the Garage Vary front lip and matching eyelids.
While the car was under going it’s exterior transformation at the hands of KJohn, Trevor was busy rebuilding the bum motor that kick started this entire rebuild.
The turbo 2.3 DISI MZR I4 mill now boasts a lengthy list of modifications including; a ported and polished intake manifold, TIG™ thermal intake and throttle body spacers, SURE Injector seals, SURE balance shaft delete, SURE 3″ Inlet and Intake, ARP studs, and a front mount inter cooler.
Suited, booted, and tuned by , Trevor’s car is now running better than it ever has before.
On the inside Trevor continued the red/black/grey color scheme blueprinted by both the new exterior color and stock Mazdaspeed 3 seats, by having his center console sprayed the same candy apple found on his wheels.
Further tying the seats, console, and wheels together are custom wrapped factory door cards.
Should Trevor not want to listen to his Turbosmart blow off valve, or Victory Build custom Exhaust, a quick turn of the volume knob on his Sony deck sends sounds pumping through the complete in car entertainment system consisting of Skar Audio 6.5″ components, VVXV2 Subwoofers, and duo of SK800.1 and 80.4 amplifiers.
There’s a saying that goes “when life gives you lemons paint that shit gold” and while Trevor didn’t paint his car gold after his motor gave up the ghost he certainly did make the best of a bad situation by turning his car into an absolutely unique show stopper.
For more photos of this car be sure to check out the sister feature on .
- Garage Vary Front Lip
- Garage Vary Eyelids
- Hydro- Dipped Headlights
- Custom Paint Color
- Custom Wide body
- Rear Wiper Delete
- Custom Eyelids on Rear Taillights
- Red Tinted Taillights
- Custom Victory Built Exhaust and Tip
- Password JDM Fender Washers
- Rear Bumper Reflector Delete
- Custom Wing Extension
- Konig SSM Rims 18×10 et 15 Painted Candy Apple Red
- 25mm Spacers in Rear
- Standard Suspension (STD) R3 Fully Adjustable Coilovers
- Standard Suspension (STD) Camber plates
- Vibrant Strut Bar
- Whiteline Front And Rear Sway Bars
- Modified SPC Camber Arms
- Painted Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
- Hawk HPS Brake Pads
- Sure Motorsports Engine Mounts
- NRG Catch Can
- CNT Downpipe
- Ported and Polished Exhaust Manifold
- Ported and Polished Intake Manifold
- Sure Tig Thermal Intake and Throttle Body Spacers
- Autotech Fuel Pump Internals
- Sure Injector Seals
- ARP Head Studs
- Sure Balance Shaft Delete
- Forged Block
- Sure Motorsports Full 3 inch Intake and Inlet Pipe
- EGR Block Off Plate
- CX Racing FMIC
- Cobb Acessport
- APH Tuned
- Turbosmart BOV
- Group 34 Deka AGM Style Battery
- Apexi Turbo Timer
- Center Console Gauge Pod
- AEM Tru Boost Gauge and Controller
- AEM Wideband O2 Gauge
- AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
- Sony XAV64BT Double Din Deck
- 6.5″ Skar Audio VX165 Components in Front Doors
- 6.5″ Skar Audio RPX65 Coaxials in Rear Doors
- Skar Audio LP-80.4 4 Channel Amp Running Door Speakers
- (2) Skar Audio VVXV2 Subwoofers
- Skar Audio SK-800.1 Amp Running Subwoofers
- Custom Fiberglass / Ported Subwoofer Box
- 0 Gauge Skar Audio Amp Wiring Kit
- Custom Wrapped Door Panels and Pillars
- Custom Painted Center Console to Match Rims
- NRG Hub and Steering Wheel
- Hurst Shift Knob
- Kjohn Car Innovations
- SOS Autosport
- Victory Build Fabrications
- Skar Audio
- Art In Motion Auto Care
- Standard Suspension